Prep 2 mins
Cook 30 mins
Plan ahead this sauce needs to be refrigerated overnight before using, as the flavors will intensify. You can purchase liquid smoke in any of the major supermarkets. This is one of the best BBQ sauces I have tryed yet!
- 2 -3 tablespoons oil
- 2 -4 minced garlic cloves (or to taste)
- 1 small onion, minced (or very finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in garlic, onions, cumin and chipotle chile powder and crushed red pepper flakes (if using) stir with a wooden spoon for about 1 minute to release flavors.
- Add in wine; simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add in ketchup, vinegar, soy sauce and liquid smoke flavoring; mix to combine and simmer for 20-25 minutes longer (can simmer longer).
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate overnight to blend flavors.
A nice spicy, smokey bbq sauce. Not sweet at all, which I hate about comercial bbq sauces. Perfect on ribs or chicken. Used red wine vinegar, otherwise everything remained the same.