1/4 Photos of Red Wine and Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
I got the original of this off the web, from allrecipes.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 lamb shanks
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 750 ml red wine
- 2 (440 g) cans whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 250 ml chicken broth
- 250 ml beef broth
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- 3Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes: transfer browned shanks to plate.
- 4Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- 5Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth.
- 6Season with rosemary and thyme.
- 7Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge.
- 8Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- 9Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- 10Remove cover from pot, and simmer about 20 minutes longer.
- 11Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven.
- 12Boil juices in pot until reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes.
- 13Spoon over shanks.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Wine and Rosemary Braised Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (718 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 827.0
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 702.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 74.8 g