Recipe by JustJanS
I got the original of this off the web, from allrecipes.com
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
This was so good and so easy, wine, rosemary and lamb - what could be better. I didn't have any carrots so just left those out though wish I'd had them! Followed the directions for the rest up until the simmering - at that point put it all in the crock-pot and let it simmer on low for 4 hours. The house smelled so wonderful and we enjoyed with baked potatoe, fresh french bread and roasted asparagus. All toped of with a great bottle of Washington Red Wine - a dinner to remember.
- 6 lamb shanks
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 750 ml red wine
- 2 (440 g) canswhole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 250 ml chicken broth
- 250 ml beef broth
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
- Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes: transfer browned shanks to plate.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and saute until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth.
- Season with rosemary and thyme.
- Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Remove cover from pot, and simmer about 20 minutes longer.
- Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven.
- Boil juices in pot until reduced and thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Spoon over shanks.