This is a perfect potato salad for patriotic holidays or any day, really. This is my modification of a recipe I found here on the Zaar. The original was posted by evelyn/athens and can be found here: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Blue-Cheese-Potato-Salad-68007. ***I add no salt to this recipe other than while cooking potatoes, so use as you see fit.***
- 1360.77 g red potatoes
- 158.51 ml mayonnaise (I use Veganaise)
- 158.51 ml plain yogurt (or sour cream)
- 29.58 ml Dijon mustard (or spicy brown)
- 29.58 ml cider vinegar
- 113.39 g blue cheese, crumbled
- 158.51 ml celery, chopped small
- 158.51 ml diced onion (red or white)
- 2 medium dill pickles, finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed
- 14.79 ml fresh dill, minced
- 6-8 piece turkey bacon, fried crisp and crumbled (pig bacon works great too)
- 2.46 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 3 green onions, with tops, thinly sliced
- Boil potatoes until tender; drain and cool for comfortable handling.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces, leave skin on.
- Transfer to large bowl, add ice to chill.
- In separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients except green onions and mix well.
- Drain chilled potatoes, add dressing and mix thoroughly.
- Let stand in refrigerator at least 30 minutes before serving, can be made a day ahead of time.
- Before serving, mix one final time and sprinkle green onion on top for garnish.
SOOO Yummy!!! Used pig bacon and didn't use all of the garlic called for but everyone raved about it. Will be a staple to replace my old potato salad. Next time I am going to roast the potatoes instead of boiling them.
We used pork bacon and left out the celery (chef's personal preference). We love the bleu cheese, sour cream and red potatoes together, but ended up with some things a little out of balance: too much liquid, too much vinegar. All that said, it's rich and full-flavored and will not go to waste! Made for PAC Spring 2013
Wonderful salad. I didnt have any bleu cheese, so i used bleu cheese dressing with just a bit more mayo. I also added some chopped sweet red pepper.