Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A new twist on a marinated bean salad! Simple and easy to prepare, yet very delicious and free of refined sugars. Great for a dinner party or potluck supper. Cook time is actually chill time.
- 3 naval oranges
- 118.29 ml shredded carrot
- 439.41 g can red kidney beans
- 439.41 g can great northern beans
- 59.14 ml chopped red bell pepper
- 59.14 ml chopped green peppers or 59.14 ml yellow bell pepper
- 5 slice thin purple onions, quartered
- 709.77 ml romaine lettuce, coarsely shredded or chopped or 946.36 ml spring mixed salad greens
- 118.29 ml freshly grated parmesan cheese, optional
- 78.07 ml white wine vinegar
- 29.58 ml balsamic vinegar
- 59.14 ml Splenda granular or 59.14 ml Equal sugar substitute or 6 packet Equal sugar substitute or 6 packet sugar substitute
- Rinse beans and drain well.
- Place in medium bowl.
- Add all bell pepper, carrots, and the purple onion.
- Mix all Dressing ingredients together, and pour over the bean mixture.
- Toss to mix.
- Peel oranges, remove sections.
- Cut sections in half and place on top of the bean mixture, but do not toss.
- Refrigerate 1 hour to chill.
- Can be refrigerated overnight.
- When ready to serve, you can make one large bowl of salad or make individual salads.
- ONE LARGE BOWL: Add lettuce to the bean-orange mixture, and toss to dress salad.
- Optionally scatter cheese on top.
- Serve with slotted spoon.
- INDIVIDUAL SALADS: Toss the bean-orange mixture.
- Place lettuce on each plate.
- Using a slotted spoon, place the bean mixture on the lettuce.
- Optionally scatter cheese on each plate.
I took this to our family clambake, and it was rated very highly by everyone! It has a nice, light sweet-sour taste. Next time I make it, I will add a few less beans and more romaine lettuce. Thanks for the recipe, BeachGirl!
Delicious -- perfect with ribs with just enough leftover salad for lunch tomorrow. Because I wanted to use what I had on hand I subsituted a can of butter beans for the northern beans and used a regular onion and white sugar instead of purple onion and spenda without any obvious problems. Thanks Beachgirl for sharing this delicious and different salad. This will become a regular at our house.