Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Jello and yogurt are a classic combination, and I prefer this to the typical cool whip layer. I prefer to boil the water in the microwave - 2 cups take about 2 minutes. I also stick my jello in the freezer for 10-15 minutes so it sets faster between layers :). I use a plain tasting yogurt, so add 1/2 cup sugar, but you can leave it out if you are happy with the flavor of your yogurt. Cooking time is time to set in the freezer.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Pour over red jello, mix well for 2 minutes (as directed on package.) Fill a 2 cup measure with ice, and add water to make 2 cups ice water. Add to jello, stirring until almost all ice is melted. Fish out any remaining pieces if necessary.
- Pour into a 13x9x2 inch pan with cover. Freeze 10-15 minutes until set. (I don't know how long it takes to set in the fridge.).
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil. (If you are adding sugar, stir it into the gelatin before adding the water.) Pour water over 3 packs unflavored gelatin, mix well for 2 minutes (as directed on package.) Instead of adding cold water, add vanilla flavored yogurt, mix well. Quickly pour over red layer, and stick in freezer to set. (I found that the white layer set much quicker than the others, and needed smoothing out to look even.).
- Prepare the blue layer exactly like the red layer in step one. Pour over the white layer. Set in the freezer if you need it quickly, or set in the fridge for several hours. k.
- I didn't unmold mine, it looks pretty in the clear pan I made it in, and stayed intact when removed with a spatula. If you have a trifle bowl, I think it would make a beautiful presentation - you could do a 1/2 layer of red, then white, then blue, then red, then white, then blue again. I'll have to see if I can borrow a trifle bowl :).
Easy recipe. Like the yogurt idea. Thanks for posting.