Recipe by Stephanie Z.
My mom has been making this simple and delicious dessert for years. You can easily make this for other holidays by using different colored gelatins (e.g. try black cherry and orange for Halloween). IMPORTANT: Make sure that the bottom two layers are chilled long enough to become firm and that the top layer is cool before pouring in step 4 or the top layer will go under the cream cheese layer and not make the pretty layered dessert that you want.
Top Review by jswinks
This is one of those 'traditional' desserts, and oh so yummy! I was a little worried it would all fit in the pan, and it does (within about 1/4"). I recommend pouring the top layer while the pan is IN the fridge to avoid sloshy spills. Also, I wasn't sure if I was supposed to follow the "traditional" preparation method on the jello (versus quick set or jigglers), but I did, and turned out fine so I guess that was right! I used one large box for the blue and red. Happy 4th! (The second photo I uploaded was from this year when I put them in 2oz shot glasses and served with demitasse spoons. so great for the kids! After 12 glasses, I still had enough to make a 8x8 pan as well).
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages berry blue gelatin mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces whipped topping (Cool Whip)
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages raspberry Jell-O gelatin (or and other red jello)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare berry blue jello according to directions on box. Pour into 13x9 baking dish and place in the refrigerator. Allow to chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Prepare lemon flavored gelatin using 1 cup of boiling water. Beat cream cheese slightly and then add the lemon gelatin mixture. Beat gelatin and cream cheese until smooth. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once the cream cheese mixture has cooled, fold in the whipped topping until mixed thoroughly. Pour this mixture over the firmly set bottom layer. Return to the refrigerator and chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Prepare raspberry jello according to directions on box. Cool this mixture until room temperature and then pour over the middle cream cheese layer.
- Return the 3 layers to the refrigerator and chill until top layer is firm.
- Cut into squares to serve.
- Top with a little whipped topping and a couple of blueberries, if desired.