Recipe by WJKing
MMMMMMMMMmmmm! This is a great twist on an old favorite! Popular here in Lancaster Co.! ENJOY!
Top Review by SReiff
Yumalicious! Thanks, J for the great recipe, I knew I could depend on you! DD said they are better than the ones we bought at SKH!! I used my Pampered Chef small cookie scoop to place the dough on the baking pan and it made 26 perfect sized whoopies. Thanks for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 1 ounce water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 egg whites (these will not be cooked - you can omit these completely - use real egg whites - or use dried egg wh)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups white shortening
- 5 cups 10x confectioners' sugar
- Combine cocoa, food coloring and water.
- Set aside to dissolve.
- Blend together oil, sugar and eggs.
- Add food coloring mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, salt& vanilla.
- Add to mixture.
- Add flour.
- Dissolve soda in vinegar.
- Fold into batter.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake approximately 10 minutes at 350.
- Fill with whoopie pie filling.
- Wrap each pie with plastic wrap to retain moisture.
- These freeze well!
- FILLING: Beat egg whites until stiff (if using real whites).
- Add vanilla, flour& milk and beat well.
- Add shortening and sugar.
- Whipe on high speed for 3-5 minutes.
- This may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.