Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
MMMMMMMMMmmmm! This is a great twist on an old favorite! Popular here in Lancaster Co.! ENJOY!
Make and share this Red Velvet Whoopie Pies recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 1 ounce water
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 egg whites (these will not be cooked - you can omit these completely - use real egg whites - or use dried egg wh)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 1⁄4 cups white shortening
- 5 cups 10x confectioners' sugar
- Combine cocoa, food coloring and water.
- Set aside to dissolve.
- Blend together oil, sugar and eggs.
- Add food coloring mixture.
- Combine buttermilk, salt& vanilla.
- Add to mixture.
- Add flour.
- Dissolve soda in vinegar.
- Fold into batter.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.
- Bake approximately 10 minutes at 350.
- Fill with whoopie pie filling.
- Wrap each pie with plastic wrap to retain moisture.
- These freeze well!
- FILLING: Beat egg whites until stiff (if using real whites).
- Add vanilla, flour& milk and beat well.
- Add shortening and sugar.
- Whipe on high speed for 3-5 minutes.
- This may be kept in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
Yumalicious! Thanks, J for the great recipe, I knew I could depend on you! DD said they are better than the ones we bought at SKH!! I used my Pampered Chef small cookie scoop to place the dough on the baking pan and it made 26 perfect sized whoopies. Thanks for posting.
This was my first attempt at red velvet whoopies and they came out tasty, but mine spread really BIG! I used a smaller scoop for the next tray and they came out better. Thanks for posting!
Wow!! What A great recipe!!! I have never made whoppie pies but will definately make again!! Thank you Lancaster County! :)