Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Tiny bite of a gluten free version of red velvet cake! perfect for Valentine's Day! See more of my gluten free recipes at www.gingerlemongirl.com
- 2⁄3 cup millet flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown rice flour
- 2⁄3 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup regular milk mixed with 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese, softened
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare mini cupcake tins or heart-shaped tins with paper liners or spritz with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together all dry ingredients (excluding sugar!).
- In another large bowl mix together buttermilk or soured milk with vinegar and 1 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
- With an electric mixer cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time until well incorporated.
- Slowly add half of dry mixture, followed by half of buttermilk mixture to creamed sugar mixture.
- Beat until just combined.
- Repeat until all of flour and buttermilk mixtures have been incorporated.
- Add 1/2 oz. of red food coloring, or more to your liking and mix well with mixer.
- Do not overbeat.
- In a small bowl, whisk or beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold into cake batter.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 full with batter.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. WATCH CAREFULLY! You do not want these little cuties to burn!
- For Icing:.
- Combine powdered sugar, softened cream cheese, and 1 teaspoons vanilla extract and mix until creamy. Spread on cooled cupcakes and enjoy!
Nice texture to the cake on the first day. It was a little dry though with not alot of flavor. I think next time i make it i'll add extra flavoring or cocoa powder. Still, the next day the texture wasn't chewy as with some gluten free cakes.