Prep 40 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
2009 Christmas with Southern Living
Make and share this Red Velvet Swirl Pound Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄3 cup milk chocolate, morsels melted
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons liquid red food coloring
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 9 tablespoons whipping cream
- salt, a pinch
- edible white glitter
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift together flour and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes or until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar; beat at medium speed 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
- Gradually add 1/2 of flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speen.
- Add 1 cup cream and extracts, beating just until blended.
- Add remaining flour mixture, beating just until blended.
- Scrape down sides of bowl; increase speed to med-high and beat 5 minutes (batter will become very creamy and satiny).
- Reserve 1 1/2 cups batter.
- Pour remaining batter into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.
- Add melted chocolate and food coloring to reserved batter; stir until blended.
- Add to batter in pan in 2 batches, using a spoon to swirl the batters.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack 30 minutes.
- Run a knife around edges to loosen cake; cool completely in pan.
- Whisk together powdered sugar, 9 tablespoons cream, and pinch of salt in a bowl until smooth; spoon thickly over cake.
- Let stand 15 minutes; sprinkle with glitter.