A little bit different recipe for Red Velvet. The frosting is white chocolate cream cheese with a coconut topping. From Hearst publishing.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce bittersweet chocolate or 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1For the cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two 9-inch round cake pans with baking spray. Line bottom of pans with waxed paper; spray paper with baking spray. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, grated chocolate, baking powder, and salt.
- 3In a 2-cup glass measuring cup, stir together buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla, and baking soda.
- 4In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well blended. Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture on medium-low speed. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes. Invert onto wire rack; invert again and let cool completely on rack.
- 5For the frosting: Place white chocolate and cream in a small micro-wave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 15 to 30 seconds; whisk until smooth. Let stand 2 minutes; cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- 6In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in cooled white-chocolate mixture until blended. On low speed, add confectioners' sugar in batches and beat until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- 7To assemble the cake: Cut each cake layer horizontally with a long serrated knife, to make 4 layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and spread with about 1 cup of frosting. Repeat with remaining 3 layers, frosting the top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle coconut on top and sides of cake. Refrigerate cake about 1 hour to let it set.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Snowball Cake
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 538.0
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 18.1 g
- Cholesterol 92.1 mg
- Sodium 323.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 46.9 g
- Protein 5.8 g