Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Red velvet poundcake
Make and share this Red Velvet Pound Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups unsifted flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 ounce red food coloring
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 7 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 8 ounces cream cheese, soft
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 butter, soft
- CAKE: Cream sugar, shortening, vanilla, food coloring and eggs.
- Add dry ingredients and milk.
- Bake in large and floured tube pan for 1-1/2 hours at 275 degrees.
- Turn out of pan to cool.
- ICING: Cream together cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and butter.
- Spread over cooled cake.
Delicious -- made it as a birthday cake for a coworker. The boss came back in to get pieces for his mom & daughter -- lol. Only one criticism -- it took about 45 minutes longer to cook that stated. When it wasn't done, I went and checked the oven with a thermometer probe, and the oven was on temp.
Very good. Was a big hit at an office pot luck.
Debbie is correct. This took about 45 minutes longer to cook. Not sure if the temperature listed in the recipe is maybe too low? But it tasted really good and went over well with my husband who begged me not to take all of it to a reception I made some desserts for. Thanks!