PSU Lioness's Note:
I found this in the Weis Markets Healthy Bites magazine. Regular red velvet cupcakes get a makeover with the addition of avocado. It adds a healthier fat tobkeep the cake moist and a serving of veggies. Kids will never suspect a thing!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 ounces pureed fresh avocados (about 1/2 of an avocado)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1In a large bowl, cream sugar and avocado.
- 2Add egg, red food coloring, vanilla and vinegar; beat to incorporate.
- 3In a large bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 4Add half of the buttermilk and half of the dry ingredients to the avocado mixture; stir to combine.
- 5Add the remaining buttermilk and dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- 6Spoon batter into 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" paper-lined muffin tins, about 1 tbsp per cupcake.
- 7Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until lightly golden brown. Cool before frosting.
- 8To make the frosting, in a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and avocado puree until fluffy.
- 9Beat in the powdered sugar, honey and vanilla.
- 10Refrigerate for 30 minutes before using.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes (With Hidden Avocado)
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 107.7
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 11.4 mg
- Sodium 58.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 15.9 g
- Protein 1.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: