An excellent moist red velvet cake. please use only cake flour for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Crisco shortening (butter or plain flavor)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- 3Grease 3 (8-inch) round cake pans, and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- 4With an electric mixer on high speed, cream butter, shortening and sugar for about 4-5 minutes until fluffy, making certain that no sugar granules remain in the creamed mixture.
- 5Add in eggs and vanilla; blend well to combine.
- 6Mix in sour cream and cocoa; blend well.
- 7In a small bowl, blend the boiling water and food colouring together; set aside.
- 8In a small bowl sift together cake flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- 9Add in the flour mixture alternating with the boiling water to the creamed mixture; mix to make a smooth batter.
- 10Divide batter into prepared baking pans, and tap gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles in the batter.
- 11Bake about 30-35 minutes, or until cake test done.
- 12Cool and remove from pans.
- 13Frost with desired icing.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1559.1
- Calories from Fat 649
- Total Fat 72.2 g
- Saturated Fat 36.9 g
- Cholesterol 326.5 mg
- Sodium 1070.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 219.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 134.7 g
- Protein 20.2 g