Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
An excellent moist red velvet cake. please use only cake flour for this recipe.
Top Review by waynejohn1234
This is probably one of the best red velvet cake mixtures and I have one very similar. Also have one that is totally different to any here which I have posted. Thanks for reminding of this great recipe.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup Crisco shortening (butter or plain flavor)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- Grease 3 (8-inch) round cake pans, and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, cream butter, shortening and sugar for about 4-5 minutes until fluffy, making certain that no sugar granules remain in the creamed mixture.
- Add in eggs and vanilla; blend well to combine.
- Mix in sour cream and cocoa; blend well.
- In a small bowl, blend the boiling water and food colouring together; set aside.
- In a small bowl sift together cake flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add in the flour mixture alternating with the boiling water to the creamed mixture; mix to make a smooth batter.
- Divide batter into prepared baking pans, and tap gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles in the batter.
- Bake about 30-35 minutes, or until cake test done.
- Cool and remove from pans.
- Frost with desired icing.