Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan.
- For cake base:.
- In a large bowl combine cake mix, egg and melted butter. Stir until blended. Pat into prepared pan and set aside.
- For filling:.
- Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs, butter,cocoa, vanilla and red food coloring and beat until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Stir in the white chocolate chips with a spatula to not break the chips.
- Spread filling over cake base in pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Be careful not to overcook the cake; the center should still be a bit loose when finished baking. Let the cake cool on a wire rack before cutting into 20 to 24 servings.