1 hr 40 mins
The Pastry Queen Christmas
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup red food coloring
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 350°; grease jumbo muffin cups (3 ½ inch in diameter and 2 inches deep) with butter or cooking spray and lightly flour them, knocking out the excess flour, or line them with baking papers.
- 2In a bowl, stir the food coloring and cocoa powder together to make a smooth paste; set aside.
- 3Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 4Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition, then add the cocoa paste while continuing to beat.
- 5Decrease mixer speed to medium and beat the batter for about 4 minutes.
- 6In another bowl, sift the cake flour, all-purpose flour, salt, and baking soda together.
- 7Stir the vanilla into the buttermilk (can be done in the measuring cup).
- 8Add the flour in 3 increments alternately with the buttermilk in 2 increments, starting and ending with the flour; beat on medium speed just until ingredients are combined.
- 9Add the sour cream and vinegar and beat on low speed until combined.
- 10Fill the muffin cups ¾ full with batter.
- 11Bake for 25-35 minutes, just until the cupcakes feel firm to touch and a pick comes out clean (do not overbake or the cupcakes will dry out).
- 12Remove from the oven and let cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then unmold onto a wire rack and let cool completely before frosting.
- 13Make the icing: in a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment, beat the butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the mascarpone on very low speed until just combined (be careful; once you’ve added the mascarpone, excessive beating can make the frosting curdle).
- 14Stir in the vanilla or mint extract.
- 15Frost the top of each muffin with the icing; if desired, sprinkle the crushed peppermint candy evenly over the cupcakes.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cupcakes With Mascarpone Cream Cheese Icing
Serving Size: 1 (2374 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 738.2
- Calories from Fat 387
- Total Fat 43.0 g
- Saturated Fat 26.7 g
- Cholesterol 147.1 mg
- Sodium 356.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 50.1 g
- Protein 7.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: