Recipe by Kozmic Blues
These have to be one of the BEST cupcakes I've ever made!! The chocolate extract REALLY makes it, so it's worth finding. As well as the little hint of almond. For the frosting, I've actually used a little less powdered sugar and it was plenty sweet (1 1/2-3/4 cup)
- 236.59 ml soymilk
- 4.92 ml apple cider vinegar
- 295.73 ml all-purpose flour
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 29.58 ml cocoa powder
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml salt
- 78.07 ml canola oil
- 29.58 ml red food coloring
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 4.92 ml chocolate extract
- 59.14 ml margarine, non-hydrogenated, softened (Earth Balance)
- 59.14 ml vegan cream cheese, softened (Tofutti, Better Than Cream Cheese)
- 473.18 ml powdered sugar, sifted
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with liners.
- Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar and set aside to curdle.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large bowl and mix.
- Add the oil, food coloring, chocolate extract, Vanilla extract and almond extract to the curdled soy milk. Whisk well to combine.
- Make well in center of dry ingredients and gently fold wet ingredients into dry, mixing until large lumps disappear.
- Do not over mix, oryour cupcakes will turn out gummy - small lumps are okay.
- Fill cupcake liners about three-quarters full as these cupcakes will rise fairly high.
- Place in hot oven and bake 18-20 minutes until done, or until toothpick inserted in cetner comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in the pan for five mintues, and then transfer to a cooling rack or surface to cool completely.
- For frosting:.
- Using a hand mixer, cream together margarine and cream cheese until just combined, then whip in the powdered sugar in 1/2 cup batches.
- Scrape down the sides and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- Keep tightly covered and refrigerated until ready to use.