Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe was adapted from "What Hawaii Likes to Eat" and the frosting is adapted from a recipe by Teri Wahl. My family used to own a bakery, and these were the cupcakes we sold. There will be A LOT of frosting. Some may want to halve the recipe. We actually used a whole ice-cream scoop of frosting on top of the cupcake. This is the actual recipe for the bakery, so it makes 48 cupcakes.... it's easy to scale down to 12 but kinda hard just to do 6.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 cups unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
- 5 lbs cream cheese (I recommend Philadelphia brand)
- 4 lbs powdered sugar, sifted
Red Velvet Cupcakes
- 4 cups unsalted butter
- 6 cups sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 10 cups cake flour
- 10 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup red food coloring
- 4 tablespoons white vinegar or 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- NOTE: Before starting to make these cupcakes, it helps if all the ingredients are at room temperature. Also, if you don't have a stand mixer, just use a hand mixer. I don't recommend mixing this by hand.
- Cream cheese frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Slowly add powdered sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Refrigerate until it will hold its shape.
- Red Velvet Cupcakes:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake pan(s) with liners.
- In a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar until well creamed together, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until well incorporated. Add oil.
- Sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Mix together vinegar and red food coloring.
- Slowly add flour mixture, red food coloring mixture and buttermilk mixture, alternating between all three and ending on the buttermilk mixture. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Scoop dough into lined cupcake pans. Or fill until about 2/3s full.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of cupcake comes out clean.
- As soon as cupcakes come out of the oven, put one cupcake in the freezer.
- Allow cupcakes to cool (about 1 hour) and either using a star-tip filled pastry bag or an ice cream scooper, frost cupcakes with cream cheese frosting.
- Take the frozen cupcake and grate or food process until you get fine crumbs. Sprinkle over cream cheese frosting as a garnish.
- ***NOTE: If you can wait, these taste even better after being refrigerated overnight!