Published in the Raleigh (NC) N&O newspaper for Valentine's Day, this recipe sounded so good that I'm going to take these to work to share. Recipe is credited to Anne Byrn's "The Cake Mix Doctor"
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) packageplain German chocolate cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted, divided
- 6 peppermint candies, crushed (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 24 cupcake tins with paper liners; set aside.
- In a lg mixing bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, sour cream, water, oil, food coloring, and eggs. Blend with electric mixer on LOW for 30 seconds; scrape sides with rubber scraper. Increase mixer speed to MEDIUM and beat for 2 minutes, scraping sides if necessary. Batter should look thick and well-combined.
- Fold in chocolate chips.
- Spoon or scoop 1/3 c batter into each prepared cupcake cup, filling each 3/4rds full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until they spring back when lightly touched w/ your finger.
- Remove from oven and cool in pans for 5 minutes on wire rack.
- Run knife around each cupcake and gently lift from the pan using the knife, grasping gently w/ fingertips. Cool on wire rack for 15 minutes before frosting.
- Place white chocolate in a small glass bowl in the microwave oven on HIGH power for one minute. Remove and stir with wooden spoon or rubber scraper until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese and butter; beating with electric mixer on LOW speed for about 30 seconds til well-combined.
- Add cooled white chocolate and blend on LOW speed for appx 30 seconds until well-combined.
- Add peppermint extract and 2 cups confectioners sugar; blend on LOW speed until well-combined, appx 30 seconds; increase mixer speed to MEDIUM and beat til the frosting is fluffy, appx 1 minute, adding upto 1/2 c additional confectioners sugar if necessary to make it a spreadable consistency.
- ICE cupcakes by placing a heaping tablespoon of frosting on each cupcake, swirling to spread with a short metal spatula, covering the tops of each cupcake.
- Place in frig for appx 20 minutes until the frosting sets.
- OPTIONAL: Before chilling, sprinkle tops of frosted cupcakes w/ crusted pepperment candies.