Recipe by Noo
I know there are plenty of recipes for these on Food.Com, but as far as I can tell, this is slightly different. This recipe is SO easy, and the cupcakes are amazingly light, fluffy and very addictive. Use natural food colouring ( cochineal) or even leave it out if you prefer!
- 50 g unsalted butter, at room temp
- 150 g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
- 1 large egg
- sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons natural red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 150 g plain flour
- 125 ml buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 150 g cream cheese, full fat
- 50 g unsalted butter, room temp
- 100 g icing sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest and juice of
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C and line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake cases.
- Using an electric mixer cream your butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gently beat in the egg, vanilla extract, pinch of salt and the red colouring.
- In a separate bowl mix together the cocoa powder and flour and fold half of it into the butter mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk, until the mixture is wonderfully smooth.
- In a small bowl mix the bicarb of soda and white wine vinegar together so that it fizzes up, and stir into the cake mixture.
- Divide the mixture between the cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. To check if they are cooked insert a skewer into the centre of a cake-if it comes out clean, they're perfect, if not pop them back into the oven for another couple of minutes.
- Leave them to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool while you make the frosting.
- Put the frosting ingredients into a food processor and whiz until it's smooth and creamy. Spoon the frosting onto the cooled cupcakes, and watch them disappear!