Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These Southern delights are famous for their red colour and are a sweet treat anytime of the year.
Make and share this Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe from Food.com.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups corn oil (canola and vegetable oil blend)
- 1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (30 ml) bottle red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons spice islands 100% pure bourbon vanilla extract
- frosting, for spreading
- candy sprinkles
- colored sugar sprinkle
- fresh berries
- chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Line 24 muffin cups with baking cups; set aside.
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl of electric mixer.
- Whisk together oil, buttermilk, eggs, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla in medium bowl until thoroughly mixed. Add wet ingredients to dry, mixing well, until smooth and thoroughly combined. Distribute cake batter evenly into cups of prepared pans, filling each 2/3 full.
- Bake 22 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool 8 to 10 minutes in pan. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely. Frost and decorate each cupcake as desired.