Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 hrs
I made these using a mini cupcake pan and put them in egg grates. I took them to work and placed the egg cartons on easter grass with chocolate egg sprinkled around. They did not last very long
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line two standard-size muffin pans with baking cup liners.
- In a bowl whisk together the cake flour, salt, cocoa, and baking powder to combine.
- In a pitcher, whisk together the buttermilk, food coloring and vanilla until blended.
- In a standard mixer set on medium to medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minuted.
- Add the eggs, one at a time. Beating until fully incorporated; scrape down the sides and bottom of bowl as necessary.
- Add the flour mixture in portions, alternating with the buttermilk mixture until smooth and just blended.
- In a cup combine the vinegar and baking soda, allow to fizz, then fold into the batter by hand.
- Working quickly divide the batter evenly among the muffin pan cups and place into the oven immediately.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then check center of the cupcakes with a toothpick. If you have a few crumbs clinging to the toothpick the cupcakes are done. If the toothpick comes out with more than a few crumbs, return to the oven for a minute or so, watching closely.
- Cool cupcakes in pan on a wire rack until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes. Carefully lift each from the pan, and set on the wire rack.
- Cool to room temperature before icing, about 30 minutes.
Red velvets are an old southern standby, but I searched for a recipe having a butter base and scaled for exactly 24 cupcakes. Just as they came out of the oven, I had to give a taste test and these didn't dissapoint even warm and without frosting. I quote my dad frequently and as he would say...POIFECT!