1 hr 45 mins
Food Frenzy's Note:
This sweet velvet cupcake is perfect with the rich cream cheese frosting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cupcakes
- 15 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 13 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vinegar (white or apple cider can both work)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup water
For the cream cheese frosting
- 1For the cupcakes:
- 2Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- 3Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside.
- 4In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, and buttermilk until combined. Add eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well.
- 5Add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time and mix on low, scraping down sides occasionally, and mix until just combined. Be sure not to over mix, or the batter will come out tough.
- 6Line a 16-cup cupcake pan with paper liners, scoop the batter into the liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- 7For the cream cheese frosting:
- 8Whip the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until creamed.
- 9Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture and scrape down the bowl as needed.
- 10Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- 11The frosting can be used right away, or stored in the refrigerator up to a week.
- 12Frost cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 907.8
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 148.2 mg
- Sodium 603.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 102.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 79.8 g
- Protein 8.1 g