Prep 50 mins
Cook 55 mins
This sweet velvet cupcake is perfect with the rich cream cheese frosting.
For the cupcakes
- 15 1⁄2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 13 ounces granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vinegar (white or apple cider can both work)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 cup water
For the cream cheese frosting
- 1 1⁄2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 lb butter, room temperature
- 2 lbs powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- For the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder into a bowl and set aside.
- In a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, mix oil, sugar, and buttermilk until combined. Add eggs, food coloring, vinegar, vanilla and water and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients a little bit at a time and mix on low, scraping down sides occasionally, and mix until just combined. Be sure not to over mix, or the batter will come out tough.
- Line a 16-cup cupcake pan with paper liners, scoop the batter into the liners and bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 30 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean. Let cool.
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- Whip the butter and cream cheese together in a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until creamed.
- Gradually add powdered sugar to the mixture and scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- The frosting can be used right away, or stored in the refrigerator up to a week.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting.