Recipe by SouthernBell2627
This recipe is from "Family Circle" Magazine, February 2006. Great idea for a Valentine's Day school party. You could also make a batch for your sweetie.
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) canprepared vanilla icing
- 1 (16 ounce) canprepared chocolate icing
- additional red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Line muffin pans with 18 cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix sour cream and oil with a wire whisk. Sift flour and cocoa powder into the bowl. Add sugar. Beat until just moistened. Add eggs and beat on medium for 2 minutes, until smooth. Stir in bottle of food coloring and vanilla. Fill liners 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes at 350°F for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on wire rack.
- Tint vanilla frosting light pink with the additional red food coloring. Frost half the cupcakes with chocolate icing, half with pink icing.