Prep 10 mins
Cook 22 mins
This recipe is from "Family Circle" Magazine, February 2006. Great idea for a Valentine's Day school party. You could also make a batch for your sweetie.
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2⁄3 cup oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) canprepared vanilla icing
- 1 (16 ounce) canprepared chocolate icing
- additional red food coloring
- Line muffin pans with 18 cupcake liners. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix sour cream and oil with a wire whisk. Sift flour and cocoa powder into the bowl. Add sugar. Beat until just moistened. Add eggs and beat on medium for 2 minutes, until smooth. Stir in bottle of food coloring and vanilla. Fill liners 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes at 350°F for 22-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and place on wire rack.
- Tint vanilla frosting light pink with the additional red food coloring. Frost half the cupcakes with chocolate icing, half with pink icing.
i was gonna try this for my valentines party at school,( i cook all the time even though in 11) but sour cream sounds kinda gross, are you sure thats correct???
The batter was also very heavy for me. The overall recipe needed a lighting up. Didn't work out for me.
I made these cupcakes for Valentines Day for my DH. They turned out very red and very tasty. However, be prepared for a very thick batter when you make them. Not sure if this is how the batter is suppose to be or if I over-beat the batter. Thanks for posting this delicious recipe.