Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I can't think of a better way to say "I love you," than a perfect Red Velvet Cupcake. These easy-to-make one-bowl cupcakes take the cake with just 180 calories and a mere teaspoon of added sugar. (For comparison, a typical bakery Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting has over 500 calories and a whopping 15 teaspoons of sugar). Recipe courtesy of Diabetes Health newsletter.
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, softened
- 4 ounces fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup splenda granluated artificial sweetener
- 1 cup light whipped topping
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup splenda granulated artificial sweetener
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour, plus 2 Tbsp cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- Place the cream cheeses in a small bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the sweetener and beat for 1 minute longer. On slow speed, beat in the whipped topping, beating briefly until just mixed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a nonstick 12 muffin tin with nonstick baking spray or line with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl whisk egg until at least double in volume, mix in oil, sugar, vanilla extract, sweetener, and red food color.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda, and stir 1/3 into the wet mixture. Add 1/3 of the milk and alternate wet and dry ingredients until batter is smooth.
- Scoop evenly into muffin tin, bake 15 minutes, until center springs back when touched or a toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Top each cupcake with 2 tablespoons of frosting.
- *A light dusting of powdered sugar instead of frosting eliminates 40 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 2 grams of carbohydrates.