Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
The title says it all. Someone posted a recipe with pictures of such a delightful treat on Facebook. Unfortunately the one posted used prepackaged red velvet cake mix which I never have on hand or usually buy so I was off on the search for one from scratch. This is very similar to the one on foodnetwork.com
Red Velvet Brownie Layer
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an 8 by 8-inch baking pan, and set aside.
- Brownie layer: In a saucepan on medium heat melt the butter. Remove the butter to a large bowl and add the sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar, in that order, mixing between additions. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and stir it into the cocoa mix. Fold in the flour until lightly combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.
- Cream cheese layer: Blend together the cream cheese, sugar, egg, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the brownie batter in the pan. Dollop the remaining brownie batter over the cream cheese layer. Using a skewer or the tip of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before cutting.