Delicious and there's a healthy twist! Plus, I just LOVE red velvet
Make and share this Red Velvet Cookies recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add in eggs and vanilla and mix well. Then, add food coloring and beat all together.
- In a medium bowl, mix flours, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder. Add to the wet ingredients in the large bowl and mix with an electric mixer until just combined.
- Add cream cheese to the bowl in tbsp sized chunks and mix until you have a nice swirl.
- 5. Scoop out tbsp sized balls onto a greased or lined cookie sheet. Bake for 12-14 minutes.
This was a nice cookie recipe. My 5 year old helped make it, and then she could not stop munching on them! I didn't try them myself because I made them as directed, using KAF's white whole wheat flour instead of a gluten free substitute. I think I expected a more cake-like cookie texture, but the cookies were actually quite crunchy. I left the first batch of cookies on the sheet pan for about 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack, but in hopes of getting a softer cookie the next two batches were removed from the pan immediately. If I make these in the future I will probably make the cookies larger than one Tablespoon and/or adjust the baking time to see if we can get a softer cookie and I will probably make a GF substitute as well. Thanks for sharing, CollegeCulinista! Made for the Spring 2012 Pick A Chef event!