This recipe is from Carrot Cake Murder by Joanne Fluke. I'm saving it here to try later! Cooking time is for one baking sheet, not for the whole batch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1/2 cup butter, brought to room temperature
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups flour, packed down into the cup when measured
- 1 (6 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the frosting
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, rack in the middle position.
- 2Line your cookie sheets with parchment paper. Spray the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
- 3Unwrap the squares of chocolate and break them apart. Put them in a small microwave-safe bowl. Melt them for 90 seconds on HIGH. Stir them until they're smooth and set them aside to cool while you mix up the cookie dough.
- 4Combine the butter, brown sugar, and sugar together in a large bowl. Beat them on medium speed until they're smooth. This should take less than a minute.
- 5Add the baking soda and salt, and beat on medium for another minute, or until they're mixed inches.
- 6Add the egg and beat on medium until the batter is smooth (another minute or so). Add the red food coloring and mix for 30 seconds.
- 7Shut off the mixer and scrape down the bowl. Add the melted chocolate and mix for another minute on medium speed.
- 8Shut off the mixer and scrape down the bowl again. At low speed, mix in half of the flour. When the flour is incorporated, add the sour cream and mix it inches.
- 9Scrape down the bowl again and add the rest of the flour. Beat until the flour is fully incorporated.
- 10Mix in the chocolate chips by hand.
- 11Use a teaspoon to spoon the dough onto the parchment-lined cookie sheets. If the dough is too sticky to work with, chill it for a half-hour or so and try again.
- 12Bake the cookies at 375 degrees F for 9 to 11 minutes, or until they rise and become firm.
- 13Slide the parchment from the cookie sheets and onto a wire rack. Let the cookies cool on the rack while the next batch is baking. When the next sheet of cookies is ready, pull the cooled cookies onto the counter or table and slide the parchment paper with the hot cookies onto the rack. Keep alternating until all the dough has been baked.
- 14When all the cookies are cool, peel them off the parchment paper and put them on waxed paper for frosting.
- 15For the frosting:.
- 16Mix the softened butter with the softened cream cheese and the vanilla until the mixture is smooth. Make sure all ingredients are at room temperature.
- 17Add the powdered sugar in half-cup increments until the frosting is of proper spreading consistency.
Browse Our Top Drop Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (1446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.8
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 21.6 mg
- Sodium 93.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 14.9 g
- Protein 1.7 g