1/4 Photos of Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake
3 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Realtor by day, Chef by night's Note:
The oooh's and ahhhh's that you'll hear when you set this gorgeous cake on the table make all the extra effort worth it. Once you taste it, you'll be hooked. Red velvet cake with a smooth creamy cheesecake layer tucked in the center?!? YUM! It's such a special dessert. There are multiple steps here because basically, you'll be making a cake AND a cheesecake. Set aside a good part of the day if you plan to make this entire recipe in one day. I usually make the cheesecake layer at least a day ahead and freeze it. The cheesecake layer and the entire, finished cake freeze very well and thaw rather quickly, too. Cooling times are not included in the prep times. This is supposed to be a copycat recipe for the cheesecake factory's cake. I've tried several of these so called copy-cat recipes and my recipe is by far the best. The recipe is adapted from several recipes I've made over the years that needed a little tweeking because they just weren't up top snuff as they were. Enjoy!
My Private Note
layer c ...
Units: US | Metric
For the cheesecake
- 1 1/4 lbs bar cream cheese, room temperature (20 oz)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream, room temperature
For the cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I always use melted coconut oil)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white distilled vinegar
For the frosting
- 1For cheesecake:.
- 2Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Set a kettle of water on to boil.
- 3Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese on medium until fluffy, scraping down side of bowl.
- 4Gradually add sugar, beating until fluffy.
- 5Beat in lemon juice and salt.
- 6Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the side of the bowl after each.
- 7Beat in the sour cream.
- 8Spray the pan with non-stick spray like Baker's Secret.
- 9Cut parchment paper in a circle and line the bottom of the cheesecake pan. Spray the parchment.
- 10Wrap bottom half of pan in foil.
- 11Pour in filling and place in a large, oven safe pan.
- 12Pour in boiling water to come halfway up side of the springform pan.
- 13Bake until just set in center, about 45 minutes.
- 14Remove pan from water. Let cool for approximately 20 minutes.
- 15Run a knife around edge and continue to cool completely.
- 16Carefully place a plate on top of cooled cheesecake layer and flip it over onto plate. Remove parchment paper.
- 17Cover in plastic wrap and freeze.
- 18For the cake:.
- 19Preheat oven to 350°. I always use cake strips on all the cakes I bake because the cakes turn out perfectly flat on top. So soak your cake strips and attach them to your pans now if you're using them.
- 20Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, cocoa, and salt into a medium bowl.
- 21Beat eggs, oil, buttermilk, food coloring, vanilla, and vinegar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until well combined.
- 22Add dry ingredients and beat until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- 23Divide batter evenly between 2 greased and floured 9" round cake pans and bake 25-30 minutes, rotating halfway through, until a toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean.
- 24Let cakes cool 5 minutes, then invert each onto a plate, then invert again onto a cooling rack. Let cakes cool completely.
- 25If you didn't use cake strips, level the layers now.
- 27Beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl with an electric mixer until combined.
- 28Add sugar and beat until frosting is light and fluffy, 5–7 minutes.
- 30Place bottom layer on cake stand.
- 31Remove cheesecake from freezer, unwrap and place cheesecake layer on top of the bottom layer of the red velvet cake.
- 32If the cheesecake is wider than the cake, and it is necessary to to trim it, wait approximately 10 minutes for the cheesecake to soften, then trim it with a knife.
- 33Place top layer of cake on top of the cheesecake, and coat with a generous layer of the cream cheese frosting to act as the crumb coat.
- 34Refrigerate approximately 30 minutes, then frost with as much of the remaining frosting as necessary.
- 35Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake
Serving Size: 1 (278 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1124.6
- Calories from Fat 721
- Total Fat 80.2 g
- Saturated Fat 34.5 g
- Cholesterol 212.0 mg
- Sodium 899.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 70.8 g
- Protein 10.2 g