Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
This is a recipe posted by my sister on Facebook. I am not sure where the original recipe comes from, but this is my mom's favorite cheesecake ever! If you love both red velvet cake and cheesecake, this recipe is for you. A red velvet filling is spiked with cocoa, topped with creamy cheesecake layer, and baked in a dark chocolate crust-making a wickedly-delicious combination.
Top Review by Miss Fannie
This was my first attempt at baking a cheese cake. The directions were easy to follow. I was pleasantly surprised at how light this cake was. I really was expecting it to be heavy. It tasted delicious, and was so pretty.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh mint sprig, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together graham cracker crums, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Beat 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust.
- Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°F (do not open oven door), and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is firm. Run knife along outer edge of cheesecake. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Beat 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cheesecake. Remove sides of springform pan. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.