Prep 9 hrs 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 55 mins
This is a recipe posted by my sister on Facebook. I am not sure where the original recipe comes from, but this is my mom's favorite cheesecake ever! If you love both red velvet cake and cheesecake, this recipe is for you. A red velvet filling is spiked with cocoa, topped with creamy cheesecake layer, and baked in a dark chocolate crust-making a wickedly-delicious combination.
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- fresh mint sprig, for garnish
- Stir together graham cracker crums, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Beat 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer for 1 minute. Add eggs and next 6 ingredients, mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust.
- Bake at 325°F for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°F (do not open oven door), and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is firm. Run knife along outer edge of cheesecake. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Beat 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cheesecake. Remove sides of springform pan. Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
This was my first attempt at baking a cheese cake. The directions were easy to follow. I was pleasantly surprised at how light this cake was. I really was expecting it to be heavy. It tasted delicious, and was so pretty.