Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This looked gorgeous - I just opened my new issue of FIRST magazine and thought this was a stunning cake as they had it photographed! Haven't tried it yet, but posting here for future reference. Wow! **Cooking/prep time does not include cooling time. ZWT4 - A Cassata is a Sicilian/Italian traditional dessert and can vary.
- 1 (7 ounce) package almond paste (like Odense)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) box red velvet cake mix
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup corn oil (I prefer canola, so use your preference)
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
- 3 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups strawberries, halved
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In bowl of mixer on medium speed, beat almond paste and 11/3cups water for 2 minutes.
- Add next 3 ingredients (cake mix, eggs and oil).
- On low speed, beat 30 seconds; scrape bowl then beat 2 more minutes on medium speed.
- Divide between two 8-inch round cake pans coated with flour based cooking spray.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until tester comes out clean; cool on rack.
- Halve cakes.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat next 2 ingredients (cream cheese and mascarpone), 1 cup heavy cream, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar and vanilla extract 2 minutes.
- Beat remaining cream and sugar 2 minutes, then fold into cream cheese mixture.
- Place 1 cake layer on plate; top with 1 cup cream mixture. Repeat twice.
- Coat cake with remaining cream mixture and top with berries (using a mix of berries like strawberries, raspberries citrus curls and edible flowers looked terrific in the photo!).
- Enjoy! ;).
wowsie! this was EASY and rewarding. I topped it with blueberries, blackberries, quartered strawberries, and sliced, toasted almonds. Outrageous. I will definitely make this again. and again. and again!
This is a beautiful and delicious dessert! I've never made anything like this and it turned out wonderful. I topped this with fresh strawberries, raspberries and blackberries. Made for ZWT4 Family Picks for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.