Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious. Fun. Red. Awesome. I like this cake with Cream Cheese Icing. You can make it with a butter cream icing as well, but cream cheese is so much better. :)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa (not Dutch process)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons red food coloring or 1 teaspoon red gel food coloring dissolved in 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons white vinegar
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place teaspoon of butter in each of 3 round 9-inch layer cake pans and place pans in oven for a few minutes until butter melts. Remove pans from oven, brush interior bottom and sides of each with butter and line bottoms with parchment.
- Whisk cake flour, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
- Place oil and sugar in bowl of an electric mixer and beat at medium speed until well-blended. Beat in eggs one at a time. With machine on low, very slowly add red food coloring. (Take care: it may splash.) Add vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in two batches. Scrape down bowl and beat just long enough to combine.
- Place baking soda in a small dish, stir in vinegar and add to batter with machine running. Beat for 10 seconds.
- Divide batter among pans, place in oven and bake until a cake tester comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pans 20 minutes. Then remove from pans, flip layers over and peel off parchment. Cool completely before frosting.
- Frosting: Place cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl. With a hand-held electric mixer, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat, on low speed to combine. If too soft, chill until slightly stiff, about 10 minutes, before using.