Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This cake is a favorite for birthdays or 4th of July cupcakes. Very easy to make as it starts with a German chocolate cake mix. Can be made as a 9 X 13, layer or cupcakes. If making a layer cake you will need to double or triple the frosting.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces German chocolate cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon red food coloring
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 X 13 baking dish.
- Combine cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, oil, vinegar, and water in large bowl. Beat on low for 1 minute.
- Stop beating and add food coloring. Then beat again for 2 minutes on high
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake about 30 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. If making cupcakes bake for time directed on mix box.
- Let cool before frosting.
- Soften butter slightly.
- Put sugar in bowl of food processor and pulse a few times to sift.
- Cut cream cheese into pieces and add along with the butter and vanilla.
- Process until smooth.