Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I found this recipe on BakingSheet.com. It looked really interesting so I'm posting it for safe keeping until I get around to trying it (which will be soon.)
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring (more, if necessary)
Mascarpone Cream Cheese Filling
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (vanilla paste is even better)
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt, then set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy, then beat in the egg whites, followed by the applesauce, buttermilk, vanilla extract and red food coloring. Add additional coloring, if needed, to reach desired color. Keep in mind that the color will dim slightly with baking, but I try to shoot for a burgundy/brown color.
- Stir in flour mixture until batter is smooth and no streaks of flour remain.
- Drop batter two tablespoonfuls at a time onto the prepared baking sheet, forming 2-inch in diameter rounds. Bake for 10 minutes, until set but not browned. Cookies should spring back when lightly touched, like a cake.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Beat together mascarpone and cream cheese until well combined. Beat in vanilla and milk. Add in confectioners sugar, scraping down the bowl as you go. When it has all been incorporated, beat on high speed for 1-2 minutes, until icing is very smooth and thick, but not stiff. Add more confectioners sugar, if necessary.
- Spread filling between pairs of cooled cookies.