Recipe by TaterBug! :)
Yummy true southern favorite, this is my reduced calorie version. Finish this cake with my recipe for Cream Cheese Frosting. Enjoy!
Top Review by zaar mate
Very nice! Made this for my husbands birthday and we all thought it was great. I did use reg. sugar instead of splenda, and egg whites with just 2 yolks for the eggbeaters. I also used the special dark cocoa instead of the reg. This is so much lower in fat than the original version but it's still a very moist cake. This will be the one we use from now on. Thanks Taterbug!
- 3⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk (shaken)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs and sugar together on medium high for 2-3 minutes. Add vanilla, oil, vinegar, food coloring and buttermilk and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Mix or sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix dry and wet ingredients together slowly and beat after each addition until just combined.
- Spread into 2 prepared cake pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until pick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, cool for another 30 minutes before frosting.