Recipe by SashasMommy
Start this project at least the day before you need them, and set aside at least a few hours for rolling and dipping. You will need a package of 50 paper sucker sticks and a styrofoam block. If you need to add more melted candy to your bowl, do not put un-melted candy in with the melted candy and re-heat it, it will overcook the candy. Rather, melt the new candy and then pour it into the already melted candy.
Top Review by sassykat1213
Really easy and fun recipe! I rolled, put lollipop sticks in, and froze mine overnight, then dipped the day of the baby shower, where I served them. Everyone raved and wanted the recipe. :)
- 1 (18 ounce) box red velvet cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 12 ounces ready-made cream cheese frosting (3/4 of a can)
- 2 (24 ounce) packageskroger brand vanilla candy coating
- red white and blue candy sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- You will need a package of 50 paper sucker sticks and a styrofoam block.
- Bake cake according to directions on package. Let cool completely.
- Crumble cake mix in large bowl and mix in icing till all the cake is moist. (It’s easiest to use hands).
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours until firm enough to roll.
- Roll filling into 1.5-inch balls and place on waxed paper. Refrigerate for another hour to chill them back up.
- Place candy coating in a small, deep dish (a short drinking glass works well) and microwave at half power for 1 minute, and then for 30 seconds at a time, stirring in between, until candy is melted. Do not over-cook candy!
- Working with 5 balls at a time (keep the rest in the refrigerator), place the tip of a sucker stick into the candy and then push into a ball, about ¾ of the way through.
- Dip ball in melted candy coating until the candy touches the stick.
- Carefully shake off excess and sprinkle with candy sprinkles.
- Stand upright in styrofoam block.
- Substitute different types of cake, frosting and candy coating for different flavors.