1/1 Photo of Red Velvet Cake (of Urban Legend Fame)
Here is the Red Velvet Cake recipe, given to me by Urban Legend Master Jan Harold Brunvand (yep, the guy who wrote the books; a friend of mine). It's also known as the "$500 cake" or "Waldorf-Astoria Cake" - recipe distributed since the 1950s (at least) by the Adams Extract company of Austin, TX. It's just one version of this folkloric dessert, and a good one.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon adams best vanilla
- 1 teaspoon adams butter flavor extract
- 1 (1 1/2 ounce) bottle adams red food coloring
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1Begin making the cake: cream shortening, sugar, eggs, flavors.
- 2Make a paste of cocoa and food coloring, add to first mixture.
- 3Alternately add flour and buttermilk.
- 4Mix soda and vinegar in small bowl; add to batter; blend.
- 5Bake in 3-9" or 10" pans for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees; let cool completely
- 6Make frosting: cook milk, flour, salt, until thick; stirring constantly; let cool.
- 7Cream shortening and sugar very well; add flavors - combine with the first mixture; beat well.
- 8Cover cake with frosting.
- 9Tell legend while serving.
- 10Reference: Brunvand, "The Vanishing Hitchhiker," NY: WW Norton, 1981, 154-160; more information coming in Brunvand,"The Brain Drain and other Timely Tales" Urbana: Univ of Ill Press, 1999.
- 11The Adams products, of course, may be substituted if you do not live in Texas or nearby where they are sold.
- 12Note from Julie: for St. Patrick's Day, substitute *green* food coloring and make Green Velvet Cake! Or during Halloween, mix red and yellow to make orange.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cake (of Urban Legend Fame)
Serving Size: 1 (1824 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6489.7
- Calories from Fat 2995
- Total Fat 332.7 g
- Saturated Fat 87.3 g
- Cholesterol 415.9 mg
- Sodium 5279.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 820.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.4 g
- Sugars 514.4 g
- Protein 62.1 g