1/3 Photos of Red Velvet Cake by Cook's Illustrated
Bonnie G #2's Note:
There's a lot of recipes for this cake on here - but from what I found this one is a little differant and while it has a lot of steps - the end results is so elegant and lovely I want to post. I got this out of the Cook's Illustrated Holiday Baking Magazine and it graced the cover. By definition, Red Velvet Cake contains buttermilk, vinegar or a combination for both flavor and color. They noted that the more acid added, the brighter the cake looked and the more tender it's texture so tey included both buttermilk and white viniger. It does make a special NOTE: This recipe must be prepared with natural cocoa powder. Dutch-processed cocoa will not rise or yield the proper color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, see NOTE in description
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring (one 1-ounce bottle)
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Grease and flour two 9-inch pans.
- 4Whisk flour, baking soda and salt in medium bowl.
- 5Whisk buttermilk, vinegar, vanilla and eggs in large measuring cup.
- 6Mix cocoa with food coloring in small bowl until smooth paste forms.
- 7With stand mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar together until fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down bowl as necessary.
- 8Add one-third of flour mixture and beat on medium-low speed until just incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- 9Add half of buttermilk mixture and beat on low speed until combined, about 30 seconds.
- 10Scrape down bowl as necessary and repeat with half of remaining flour mixture, remaining buttermilk mixture, and finally remaining flour mixture.
- 11Scrape down bowl, add cocoa mixture and beat on medium speed until completely incorporated about 30 seconds.
- 12Using rubber spatula give batter final stir.
- 13Scrape into prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 14Cook cakes in pans 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely, at least 30 minutes.
- 16With stand mixer, beat butter and sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 17Add cream cheese, 1 piece at a time, and beat until incorporated, about 30 seconds.
- 18Beat in vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- 19When cakes are cooled, spread about 2 cups frosting on 1 cake layer.
- 20Top with second cake layer and spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- 21Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve, up to 3 days.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cake by Cook's Illustrated
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 547.2
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 108.5 mg
- Sodium 257.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 64.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 49.8 g
- Protein 5.1 g