Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I seen this on Paula Deen's Paula's Home Cooking and have been making this one ever since! Makes a great cake for Christmas or Valentine's Day! Very pretty cake too; I take the coconut and pecans and press only into the sides of the cake ( I make it as a round two layer cake), makes for a very pretty presentation!!!
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- 1 cup coconut, shredded (optional)
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl cream sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs on at a time.
- Mix cocoa and food coloring together in a small bowl; add to mixture and mix well.
- Sift together cake flour and salt.
- Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour.
- Blend in vanilla.
- In a small bowl combine baking soda and vineager. Add to mixture.
- Pour batter into 2 9inch or 3 8 inch cake pans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Cool completely before frosting.
- For Icing:.
- Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl.
- Add marshmallow creme and sugar; blend well.
- Fold in coconut and nuts if desired (or what I always do is press them into just the sides of the cake after I get the icing on it; very pretty this way!).
- Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.