Prep 10 mins
Cook 39 mins
I made this for my sister's birthday, and it was out of this world! The frosting is very buttery and different tasting than the normal creamy frosting you usually have on this cake.
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon butter flavoring
- 1 (1 ounce) bottle red food coloring, optional
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter flavoring
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla, butter flavoring and food coloring.
- Combine flour, cocoa and soda.
- Combine buttermilk and vinegar.
- Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture to creamed mixture.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, whisk together milk and flour in saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Cover and cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter.
- Gradually add sugar; beat well.
- Gradually add cooled milk mixture and beat until very light, about 4 minutes.
- Add vanilla and butter flavoring; beat well.
- Frost cooled cake.
This was a great cake and a really good find!
This is a wonderful cake!!! I made a cream cheese frosting with 8 oz cream cheese, 3/4 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 stick butter ,1 tsp butter extract, and 5 tbs whipping cream. It was perfect and not too sweet. It was a Valentine hit. Thanks Suzanne