Recipe by JustaQT
Rich and delicious!
Top Review by CookingTimeForMe
I like this cake! Of course, as usual, I screwed up. I started making it, and realised I had no eggs, so I had to sub them with bananas. Either was, the cake came out tasty! Be warned, though, that you need a really big bottle of food colouring to get a full 8 tbsp. I only used 1 1/2, and got a really pretty pink colour, so I'm happy! I'll make this again, thanks.
- 4 cups self-rising flour or 4 cups cake flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 4 cups mixed nuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise or 2 tablespoons salad dressing
- 1 cup softened butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, mayo, softened butter, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, water, and oil and beat manually or using an electric mixer, beat at medium speed.
- Slowly add eggs and continue beating at medium speed until batter is smooth.
- Fold in sour cream mixture; finally add food color and beat batter once more until smooth.
- Lightly grease and flour two 8" or 9" baking pans.
- Pour batter in both pans and bake for at least 45-60 minutes.
- Cool at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Frost layers with sour cream or vanilla frosting.
- After frosting each layer, coat with mixed nuts.