Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
I got this recipe from Paula Deen's cooking show today. I just had to share, it looks so good! On the show, they said it could be for any occasion. If it's for xmas, it's suggested to decorate the top with hollies.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 lb butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup melted marshmallows
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix.
- Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well.
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- Blend in vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
- Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) round greased and floured pans.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.
- Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl.
- Add marshmallows and sugar and blend.
- Fold in coconut and nuts.
- Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.
- Bon appÃ©tit!
Delicious! Very easy to make. Made it for my daughter's 12 birthday at her request. The frosting is too die for. My daughter doesn't like coconut and my husband as nut allergies so we left both of those out and it was still delicious. Can't wait to make it again.
I cut this recipe in half to use in my minature cake pans. The mix is much thicker than other cake mixes but tastes great. Your kiddies will want to lick the batter bowl. I cheated and bought icing instead of make my own. I will definately make this again. Absolutely delicious!
This recipe is one of the moistest cakes I have ever had! It was delicious! It disappeared in 2 days from my house and I only had one piece. I only have 2 9 inch pans but I am going to go find some 8 inch pans so I can make it into 3 layers next time.