Found this on the internet after obsessing over finding the perfect recipe for a traditional red velvet cake.
For the cake
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup melted marshmallows (you may use Fluff marshmallow creme to make it easier)
- 1 (1 lb) box confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
- In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla.
- Spread the batter evenly in the pans.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a rack to cool.
- Frosting: Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl.
- Add marshmallows and sugar and blend.
- Fold in nuts.
- Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.