1/4 Photos of Red Velvet Cake
Found this on the internet after obsessing over finding the perfect recipe for a traditional red velvet cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Frosting
- 1For the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
- 3In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- 4In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
- 5Beat in eggs one at a time.
- 6Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk.
- 7Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla.
- 8Spread the batter evenly in the pans.
- 9Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- 10Turn out onto a rack to cool.
- 11Frosting: Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl.
- 12Add marshmallows and sugar and blend.
- 13Fold in nuts.
- 14Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 970.3
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.6 g
- Cholesterol 139.9 mg
- Sodium 745.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 138.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 99.6 g
- Protein 9.6 g