1/7 Photos of Red Velvet Cake
Don't be afraid of the deep red color-there is more than a hint of chocolate flavor in this fun and very tasty cake to serve anytime, but especially at Valentine's Day and Christmas. I have also made it into cupcakes for the kiddies to take to school and share. The frosting is buttery and not-too sweet. This is a traditional cake from Chicago to the deep south. Back East you will even find cake mixes for an easy version of "Red Velvet Cake". I tried several versions of this cake and favored this adaptation of Gale Gand's from her "Just a Bite" cookbook
My Private Note
3 layer ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease and flour three 8-inch round cake pans.
- 3Cream together butter and sugar with electric mixer until fluffy.
- 4Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well after each.
- 5Make a paste with the food coloring and cocoa.
- 6(It takes a few minutes to get the chocolate to absorb liquid--be patient and keep stirring).
- 7Add this paste to the butter/sugar mixture.
- 8Sift together the flour, salt and baking soda.
- 9Add it to the sugar/butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well between additions.
- 10(Begin and end with dry ingredients).
- 11After last addition of flour mixture, stir in vanilla and vinegar.
- 12Beat for another minute and then divide into 3 prepared pans.
- 13Bake for about 35 minutes, or until done.
- 14Cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.
- 15To make icing: Mix flour and milk in small pan and cook over low heat until it is thick (stirring often--constantly near end).
- 16This will take about 10 minute.
- 17Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
- 18Meanwhile, cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla.
- 19Beat until it is very light and fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- 20When the flour mixture is cooled, add it to the butter mixture and beat until just mixed.
- 21Assemble the cake with a thin layer of icing between the layers and cover the top and sides of cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Velvet Cake
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.4
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 116.0 mg
- Sodium 480.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 35.9 g
- Protein 5.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar