Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
Fluffy White Icing
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- coconut (optional)
- Cream together the sugar and shortening.
- Add the food coloring, eggs and vanilla.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and salt three times and add to mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Beat until smooth.
- Mix the vinegar and soda together and fold (do not beat) into batter.
- Pour into two 9 inch cake pans which have been buttered and floured.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350F degrees.
- -----------FluffyWhite Icing------------.
- place milk and flour in small pan and cook over med.
- heat until thick.
- Allow to cool.
- Cream the sugar and shortening until fluffy.
- Add cool flour/ milk mixture and beat again until fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Spread between layers and on top of cake.
- Garnish with coconut if desired.
My family really loves Red Velvet cake; however, I have always eaten it as well as prepared it with a cream cheese frosting which is sprinkled liberally with chopped pecans. Much tastier than the shortening icing.
This cake didn't turn out quite as I'd hoped; it ended up being really dense and flat. I'm not sure what I did wrong. I subbed butter for shortening, used milk + vinegar to sub for buttermilk, and used about half the red food coloring. I don't have a sifter, so I lightly spooned the four into my measuring cup. I must have accidentally left out the salt or something? It's a mystery! I'll try again another time.
I've used this recie for 45 years. It is a family favorite and a MUST for our get togethers My son at 6 years old requested it for his birthday in lieu of a character cake. Forty years later it is still his favorite. This frosting is the ONLY frosting I would use. The flour/milk mixture must completely cooled. I use soften butter to make the frosting fluffy. I do add chopped pecans and the coconut to the frosting. AWESOME cake!!!