Recipe by PharmDoni
I was looking for a Red Velvet Cake that I could make in a bundt pan. I found this recipe from Southern Living magazine and gave it a try. It was GREAT! I did not use the glaze that was suggested because it did not compliment the cake. You can use any glaze you like if you don't like my idea. ENJOY!
Top Review by Chef 313014
This was my first time making Red Velvet Cake and I thought it was very good! I used all purpose instead of cake flour because I didn't have any and I spread the frosting on instead of melting and drizzling it on the cake. I also omitted the walnuts but other than that I followed the directions exactly as written and baked in a tube pan. I made this for our Christmas dessert this year and it was enjoyed by all!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (1 ounce) bottles red food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) container cream cheese frosting
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla; stir in red food coloring.
- Use batter immediately, following baking directions for desired cake.
- Bake at 325° in 1 (12-cup) tube pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Bake at 325° in 3 (8- x 4-inch) loaf pans for 55 to 65 minutes. Bake at 325° in baby Bundt pans for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake at 350° in muffin pans 23 to 28 minutes.
- Spray pans with vegetable cooking spray with flour.
- Once cake is done and cooled, melt frosting slightly in microwave.
- Pour frosting onto cake allowing it to pool around the bottom of the cake.
- Decorate top of cake with chopped walnuts.