Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I was looking for a Red Velvet Cake that I could make in a bundt pan. I found this recipe from Southern Living magazine and gave it a try. It was GREAT! I did not use the glaze that was suggested because it did not compliment the cake. You can use any glaze you like if you don't like my idea. ENJOY!
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Stir in vanilla; stir in red food coloring.
- Use batter immediately, following baking directions for desired cake.
- Bake at 325° in 1 (12-cup) tube pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes. Bake at 325° in 3 (8- x 4-inch) loaf pans for 55 to 65 minutes. Bake at 325° in baby Bundt pans for 25 to 30 minutes. Bake at 350° in muffin pans 23 to 28 minutes.
- Spray pans with vegetable cooking spray with flour.
- Once cake is done and cooled, melt frosting slightly in microwave.
- Pour frosting onto cake allowing it to pool around the bottom of the cake.
- Decorate top of cake with chopped walnuts.
This was my first time making Red Velvet Cake and I thought it was very good! I used all purpose instead of cake flour because I didn't have any and I spread the frosting on instead of melting and drizzling it on the cake. I also omitted the walnuts but other than that I followed the directions exactly as written and baked in a tube pan. I made this for our Christmas dessert this year and it was enjoyed by all!
cake is visually disgusting. when i pulled it out of the oven it had split in the center and was heaping over the bundt pan. after cooling for 20 min and it fell. when i turn it out it was also cracked around the side. i have been baking for almost 20 years and should have known 6 eggs is way to much for a cake. unfortunately i have no choice but to use this cake. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME