Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from Copy Kat Chat. The recipe is courtesy of Sandra Lee.
Make and share this Red Velvet Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 18 1⁄4 ounces German chocolate cake mix (recommended -- Betty Crocker)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 ounce red food coloring (recommended -- McCormick)
Cream Cheese Layer
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened (recommended -- Philadelphia)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (recommended -- McCormick)
- Set up grill for indirect cooking over medium heat. Spray 9 by 13-inch foil pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat with an electric mixer on low speed, cake mix, butter, egg, and food coloring until combined. Press cake mixture into prepared pan; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla, beat to combine. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake layer.
- Place foil pan in a second foil pan for stability and insulation. Place on hot grill away from heat. Cover and bake 40 to 50 minutes. Rotate pan halfway through baking.
- Remove from grill and cool completely before cutting.
- INDOOR: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9 by13-inch baking pan lightly with cooking spray; set aside. Prepare bars as directed. Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until bars barely start to pull away from sides. Cool completely before cutting.