Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
A quicker version of an old favorite. These bars are great for a snack as well as for a family gathering,or a potluck supper. You can divide the recipe between two foil pans, serve one and freeze the other. Just be sure to cool completely before wrapping in foil to pop in the freezer.
- 1 (18 ounce) box red velvet cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3 tablespoons water
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 pan with cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix,1 egg, butter and water in large bowl. This makes a VERY stiff dough. Transfer to prepared pan and pat into an even layer. I strongly recommend using gloves for this step, since the red food coloring in the cake mix will stain.
- Cream together softened cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add 2 eggs,vanilla and mix until combined. Spread on top of red velvet dough. Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Cool completely before slicing.
This was a great recipe! I sprinkled powdered sugar on mine after they cooled. I think it added a nice touch!
Made for Spring PAC 2010. DaMama you've done it again. Somehow you have the best dessert recipes that are quick, easy and so good. You do have to remember to add in the butter to cake mix. I made these for my sister who loves red velvet cake and she was in heaven. Thanks for sharing!
Made this recipe for a family gathering. Added the butter along with the cake mixture. It was a hit, the bars were all enjoyed. I will make these again. Thanks!