Recipe by Sage
I found this great recipe on a Quebec recipe site. When you have many red tomatoes and want to make something special this is it! You can enjoy this condiment with hamburgers, hot dogs, any meats etc.
- 6 quarts basket ripe tomatoes
- 4 onions
- 8 celery ribs
- 4 apples
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons pickling spices, wrapped in cheesecloth
- 2 cups vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch and peel tomatoes.
- Cut them in large chunks.
- Peel onions and apples.
- In processor pulse onions, celery, apples and peppers; do not pulverize them--leave them in approx 1/2-inch cubes.
- In large saucepan, stir everything together except the sugars.
- Cook medium low heat for 1 hour stirring now and then.
- Add sugars and continue cooking another 2 hours stirring now and then.
- Do not cover while cooking your ketchup!
- Pour into sterilized jars; wipe rim.
- Cover to seal.